Tim Major reports on the special event organised to celebrate 50 years of the East Anglia Transport Museum.
The East Anglia Transport Museum in Lowestoft, Suffolk, first opened to the public on May 29th, back in 1972, and this year’s special event organised to mark that momentous occasion attracted a record crowd to enjoy an interesting selection of vehicles.
Back on that opening day the tram service was in the hands of Blackpool Corporation tram No. 159, and this vehicle played a part in the celebrations on May 29th, 2022, together with London Transport HR/2 tram No. 1858 and Sheffield ‘Roberts’ car No. 513.
All the cars operated as a three-car service, with cars passing at the loop at Hedley Grove. Also drawn from the depot for display was Lowestoft open-top car No. 14 and, parked next to it, there was an ex-War Department Thornycroft lorry that was brought by Lowestoft Corporation after World War 1, for use as a tramway recovery vehicle. Blackpool Corporation 159 had only just returned to service having had its motors overhauled.
The event was an overwhelming success attracting over 1,000 visitors – one of the busiest days in the museum’s history. All museum services were operating with trams, trolleybuses, buses (on external services to Beccles and Lowestoft), and a vintage taxi, plus there were services on the East Suffolk Light Railway.
This report comes from the latest issue of Old Glory, and you can get a money-saving subscription to this magazine simply by clicking HERE